Wednesday, November 18, 2015

MOVING DAY








A few years ago, my hubs and I pondered about moving from our home of almost 30 years.  We were motivated by a desire not to drive 30 minutes to various locations, when we could instead drive for 5 or 10 minutes, or even walk.

We viewed semi-glorious semi-affordable homes on realty websites and imagined our lives for the better.  Then, after being whipped into insanity by our imaginations, we'd plummet back to earth when we found out the property should be condemned, due to cracked foundations or imploding roofs.  We also considered the actual physical work necessary for moving out of our home, i.e., massive junk-tossing, cleaning, repairing, and probable torching of basement varmints.  And we could possibly rupture one of our elderly vital organs in the process.  Not to mention, there's the glee of changing addresses with the post office, changing phone numbers, and changing driver's licenses.  So now, we're thinking, mayyyybeee we'll just stay here for awhile longer.  I need a nap now.

Yeah, staying put means being comfortable with the familiar and indulging in the "unlabor" perks of our retirement.  Okay, we're lazy.

And as usual, the Lord put a twist on my circumstances.  When I consider the final and permanent "moving day" -- the day I die -- does that prospect give me great joy?  Or does it cause me to think, "it's too much work to get ready.  I'd rather just stay here."

Before my salvation, I definitely wanted to stay here.  I didn't want to change my address from earth to whatever-I-thought-heaven-was (dull).  I didn't want to change anything about me, a/k/a sin behavior.  I didn't want to leave behind all my nifty stuff that I'd worked so hard to accumulate.

"But God" ... my favorite phrase ... He saved me, and now, I'm oh-so-ready to move, to live with Him.  There's no angst involved, because I don't really have to DO anything to prepare for this move ... other than confess daily sin, which He faithfully forgives (1 John 1:9).  And every day, I find myself loosening my tight hold on all my earthly stuff, because I can't take it with me (Ecclesiastes 5:10-15).  I don't even want to, because what He has waiting for me will make everything here look like wormy-dirt in comparison.

Thank You, my Jesus, that You have already cleaned up, dejunked, and uncondemned me.  You have already prepared a place for me (John 14:3).  This move will be instantaneous, with no effort on my part, because You are my professional "mover" (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17).  Even though I'm still physically here, You tell me that I've already been permanently transferred to Your kingdom (Colossians 1:13).  Anytime I allow myself to get antsy about the daily crud of life, please grab me with Your eternal perspective and make me remember that because You love me, you are taking permanent eternal care of me. 









No comments:

Post a Comment