Tuesday, December 22, 2015

OVERKILL FOR CHRISTMAS

The last time I indulged in a massive dental procedure, my oh-so kindly, generous, thoughtful husband procured mushy edible food for me. If you consider Jello and pudding (not to mention, sports drinks!) to be food. The problem was that the thoughtful husband thought I should have a month’s supply. And since I only needed them for a couple of days, well ... we now have fossilized food in the cabinet. When I tried to tell him gently that this was overkill, he seemed surprised at my response to his love offering.
 
And now that it’s Christmas, for some reason, this overkill issue caused me to think about the many ways Scripture tells us how God has showered His children with loving gifts.
 
He has shown himself to be our Provider, as with Abraham about to sacrifice his son, knowing that “God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering” (Genesis 22:8-14). For Abraham, that was not an overkill gift. It saved his son, and glorified God.
 
King Solomon humbly asked God for “an understanding heart to judge Your people,” God responded by saying, “I have also given you what you have not asked, both riches and honor” (1 Kings 3:9-14). Not overkill, but abundance of love, and glorifying to God.

The apostle Paul made sure the Philippian believers understood that “God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever” (Philippians 4:19). Overkill? No. Love? Yes, out of His endless, abundant supply, and for His glory.

 
Today, I’m meditating on God’s glorious gift to us. “There has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:10). “And the angels said,” ... “Hey, don’t you think this is overkill?...”
 
NO, they did not. They were “praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest’, (Luke 2:13-14).
 
My oh-so-loving God, Your gifts sometimes seem so overabundant that I can’t totally wrap my mind around them, or understand why You would be so incredibly generous to me, except that You loved me long before I ever loved You (1 John 4:10). And even more unbelievable, Your gifts don’t stop with this life. One day I will be face to face with Jesus, my Savior and Lord.  I know without a doubt that I have “an inheritance reserved in heaven” (1 Peter 1:4).
 
My Father, Your gifts are never overkill, nor will they sit on a shelf becoming increasingly useless. With every gift You bequeath on me, I will praise You while I live, and I will sing praises to You while I have my being” (Psalm 146:2).

2 comments:

  1. i'd rather have an overkill of God's blessings - than an abundance of the world's :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good! We have so much to thank Him for!

    ReplyDelete